Posted on May 18, 2011
California Bar Foundation
The California Bar Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization affiliated with the State Bar of California. Dedicated to building a better justice system for all Californians, we champion full and equal access to the justice system, invest in the next generation of California’s lawyers, educate Californians about their rights and responsibilities under the law, and promote philanthropy throughout the legal community. We are funded primarily through the voluntary donations of California lawyers, law firms, and other supporters, and we award grants to California organizations conducting innovative law-related projects and scholarships to outstanding California law students headed for careers in public interest law or who come from communities under-represented in the membership of the State Bar. The Foundation is at an exciting point in its development, with an engaged Board of Directors and rich opportunities for enhanced fundraising, new partnerships with the State Bar, and programmatic growth.
The Foundation seeks an experienced, collaborative, and highly motivated Executive Director to lead the organization in its next phase of development. Reporting directly to the Board of Directors and managing a small staff, the Executive Director will have primary responsibility for all management functions, including strategic planning, fund development, financial management, program strategy and implementation, board support and administration, stakeholder relations and communications, and organizational administration. This position requires exceptional drive and passion for the Foundation’s mission, significant capacity for management, broad understanding of the California legal community, and the ability to direct the day-to-day operations of a small yet dynamic organization. This is a full-time position, based in San Francisco, and requires some travel (mainly within California). The Executive Director is a non-voting member of the Foundation’s Board of
Major Functions/Responsibilities Include:
- Strategy: Provide overall leadership and tactical implementation for organizational strategy development, programmatic growth and quality, infrastructure development, fund development, and financial management.
- Fund Development: Lead all fund development activities, including annual fund, law firm, and corporate campaigns. Develop and implement fundraising strategy, supervise solicitation of major gifts, oversee donor stewardship and recognition activities, and support Board members in fundraising. Serve as primary contact with the State Bar’s corporate affinity program staff. Develop and implement cy pres program.
- Financial Management: Prepare approximately $1 million annual budget and manage Foundation’s resources within the budgetary guidelines. With the support of a part-time accounting consultant, oversee daily financial operations, implement internal financial controls, and ensure yearly audit is conducted in timely fashion. Monitor quasi-endowment and other investments.
- Board Support and Administration: Serve as primary staff liaison with Board of Directors. Regularly communicate with the Board regarding Foundation’s operations, programs, and fund development. Provide primary staff support to the Fund Development, Cy Pres, Board Nominations, Finance & Investment, Audit, Personnel, and Executive Committees.
- Program Strategy and Implementation: Provide strategic guidance and oversight to the development and implementation of the Foundation’s grant, scholarship, and education programs.
- Stakeholder Relations and Communications: Establish sound working relationship and cooperation with the State Bar executive staff and Board of Governors. Serve as spokesperson and manage all marketing and communications activities. Develop and implement marketing strategy, messaging, print materials, and online presence. Manage Foundation website content and design and use of other social networking tools. Represent the Foundation and its programs to current and prospective donors, program beneficiaries, law schools, community organizations, the legal community, the public, and other stakeholder groups.
- Organizational Administration and Management: Recruit, hire, supervise, evaluate, and release Foundation personnel. Oversee benefits program and maintain a climate which attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people. Manage office facility and maintain information technology infrastructure. Oversee risk management and legal activities. Ensure that the Foundation maintains official records and documents and complies with federal, state, and local regulations.
- 5+ five years of management experience in philanthropic or nonprofit organizations or other relevant experience.
- J.D. strongly preferred.
- Deep knowledge of the California legal community, including law firms, legal services, law schools, the courts, and other organizations related to the Foundation’s mission.
- Fundraising experience, including annual fund solicitations, major gifts, donor relations, and direct mail fundraising, particularly within the California legal community.
- Passion for the Foundation’s mission of building a better justice system for all Californians and promoting diversity in the legal profession.
- Superior organizational skills, attention to detail, and follow-through; ability to juggle projects with multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and a collaborative orientation that leads to sustainable and mutually beneficial external partnerships; marketing and communications experience a plus.
- Experience leading, growing, and inspiring a highly effective team.
- Demonstrated flexibility, initiative, resourcefulness, and ability to exercise sound independent judgment.
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint); experience with databases a plus.
The expected salary range for this position is $100,000 – $115,000 annually, plus benefits.
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. People of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should email an introductory letter describing their interest, relevant experience, and salary requirements; resume; and references to: TMotichka@gibsondunn.com. Please include “CBF Executive Director” in the subject line.
Job Type: Executive
Organization Type: Nonprofit Organizations